For the first time in school history, Gonzaga Basketball is the #1-ranked team in the nation. To celebrate this historic occasion, Fanatics brings you the best collection of Gonzaga Basketball Gear, as well as a brief history lesson on some lesser known Gonzaga University facts. Go Bulldogs!
5 Things you may not know about the #1 Gonzaga Bulldogs
1) From the 1910s to the 1920s, Gonzaga University’s Sports teams actually went by the name “the Fighting Irish” like Notre Dame. Yet, after a 1921 football game in which the team was described as playing like “bulldogs,” a new mascot was born.
2) American singer and actor Bing Crosby attended Gonzaga University and was an assistant football coach there. In fact, Crosby credited much of his success in the entertainment industry to what he learned at Gonzaga.
3) NBA Hall of Famer John Stockton played his senior year at Gonzaga University from 1983-’84. In that year, Stockton was named the league’s most valuable player and led the West Coast Athletic Conference in assists, steals and scoring average.
4) Before every Gonzaga home game, team chaplain Fr. Craig Hightower, S.J blesses all four sides of the McCarthey Athletic Center exactly 26 minutes before tip-off.
5) After every Gonzaga home game, Baseball coach and alumnus Steve Hertz hands out a Gonzaga Baseball hat to whichever player made a key play or set of plays during the game.
Get all your Gonzaga Basketball Gear at Fanatics and show you know all the ins and outs of Gonzaga University. We’re also the place for all the great 2013 March Madness Apparel, including the best collection of College Basketball Gear, no matter what school you cheer on.